On this day 28 years ago...
Janae De'Lisa was born.
The day has finally come, I'm 28 and you are officially looking at my new blog design! This blog design has been my baby project since May and the big reveal is so exciting!!!
As a child, my mother always planned exciting birthday parties for me. However as an adult, I never had a huge birthday extravaganza. I am a Labor Day baby and this is the 4th time my birthday is falling on Labor Day since I was born (so does that make me 4? lol) Needless to say I am always extra excited when my birthday falls on Labor Day, so I just knew this year that I would be partying it up on my birthday; but just like that everything changed. In the days leading up to today, I became less interested in the turn up (although in theory it is so fun) and decided to bring in my 28th birthday focusing on all of my dreams that are finally coming to fruition.
There have been so many things I have learned and/or are still learning as I approach my 28th year of living; and in this special blog post I thought I would share some words of wisdom! If you have any special life lessons, share them below!!
1. Walk before you run. Rome wasn't built in a day. Take your time!
2. Toxic friendships/relationships are difficult to end...but necessary. Some people are only supposed to be in your life for a season. Stop holding on to unhealthy relationships and chose yourself and your sanity.
3. Just smile. A smile can go a long way and can brighten up any situation.
4. Always go with your gut. You might regret it if you don't.
5. Work for what you want. Miracles don't happen that often..opportunities most likely won't just fall into your lap.
6. Empowered women, empower women. Uplift your fellow queens. Don't step on them on your way to the top.
7. Come out of your shell; it's brighter! To a certain extent, coming out of your comfort zone can be very rewarding.
8. Some people just won't like you and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. Realize that it is their loss, not yours!
9. You have too many people praying for you to be phased by those preying for you. Let them chomp on their hater tots and be grateful for your supporters.
10. Stop crying over spilled milk. Just clean it up!
11. There is absolutely nothing wrong with spending quality time with yourself. As you get older, its probably all you'll want to do (or maybe it's just me?).
12. People pleasing is for the birds. Think about it like this...are people tap-dancing around your feelings? Well don't tap around theirs. What you want matters too!
13. When someone shows you who the are, believe them. Words don't lie, and actions don't either.
14. Save the drama for yo...urself; 'cause your mama doesn't want it either. Well really, just avoid drama. It's pointless in the grand scheme of things.
15. You get what you work for. Perfect your time management and get your priorities in order. Your hard work will pay off.
16. Practice patience.
17. What's done in the dark WILL come to the light and your mom will typically be the first to find out. I don't know about your mom, but mine is Colombo, Jessica Fletcher, and Miss Marple combined (lol).
18. You catch more bees with honey than vinegar. No one likes a Negative Nancy...unless it's another Negative Nancy; misery loves company.
19. The true joy thief is comparison. Don't let social media fool you!
20. You don't owe anyone an explanation. If they don't understand your vision, so be it! They might not be the visionary that you are. If you don't go around expecting others to explain everything they do to you, then you shouldn't be expected to do so either.
21. Your mentality will change as your mature. No matter what, embrace it.
22. Be more selfless. Lose yourself in the service of others.
23. He's just not that into you. Learn to see the signs and move on sis! Refer to no. 2
24. Be Y-O-U! There is only one you. Stop trying on other people's shoes; they won't fit!! Being original is cooler than you think.
25. If you don't take care of yourself, who will? Self-care is key. Take at least one day a week, to pamper yourself or simply binge on your favorite Netflix shows/movies. Why?? Because you deserve it!
26. Those unflattering "love handles" you hate won't magically disappear if you keeping flaking on your workouts. Wake up, eat healthy, and get those buns in the gym! *easier said than done.
27. You're a winner simply because you refused to give up. Keep trying; no matter the outcome you are a winner!
28. Count your blessings. You are more blessed than you know.
I don't think I truly realize how blessed I am, but I have been on the recieving end of so many blessings. This past year (Chapter 27) has been full of nothing but life-changing opportunities. I can't wait to see what my 28th year has in store. Happy, Happy Birthday to me...Signing off to enjoy my birthday!
Enjoy your Labor Day 2017!!
**Shoutout to my wonderful photographer, one of my closest friends, Arielle! ❤**